Getting started with
Getting started is the hardest part of undertaking any challenge or task. And the more the task pulls you out of your comfort zone, the harder it can be to begin. Hopefully, we can help give you a head start.
There are many simple and effective ways to improve your mental health. No one size fits all approach exists – it’s important to determine what will work for you. You may need to try different options before you find out what is right.
Some tips we have for you are:
- Talk to friends and family about your feelings
- Seek help from your GP or other health professional
- Go for a walk/exercise
- Listen to music
- Take time out from technology
- Practice mindfulness
- Do something you enjoy
- Treat feeling mentally unwell the same as you would treat yourself if you were physically unwell. Don’t be hard on yourself!
- Consider your diet – are you nourishing yourself from the inside out with whole, nutritious foods?
Some questions you can ask yourself to get you started are:
- What do I want help with?
- Do I feel a bit off/flat?
- How harsh is my self talk right now?
- Am I feeling stressed or upset about a particular event?
- Am I going through a tough time?
- Do I require help with my feelings and behavior generally?
- Do I cope with change and life’s challenges?
- What would help me to feel better?
- Am I willing to try different treatments/therapies?